Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Skillet Green Beans and Mushrooms

Green beans & mushrooms 1

There are a lot of recipes that I don't share with you all. My every day recipes. The ones that I never really think you would like to see posted, but as friends of mine started to ask me about some every day recipes I started to think about the simpler things I make during the week that become part of our everyday meals. Everything doesn't have to be a show stopper dessert, or a brand spanking new recipes. So I'll be posting some staples here in our household, which vary season to season.

I love to cook with veggies from my garden, but we don't grow everything we eat. I don't have a yard big enough for that. I'm luck enough to live near a wonderful farm stand. I visit it weekly in the summer and fall and pick up the things I don't grow there. I choose whatever is in season and whatever looks good that day. A few weeks ago was green beans.

This is a recipe I make quite often. It's quick and easy to make during a weekday night.

Green beans & mushrooms

Skillet Green Beans and Mushroom
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, root end cut off.
16oz portabella mushrooms, sliced
6 slices bacon. chopped into small pieces
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil
salt & pepper

Place the chopped bacon in a large skillet with a lid. Cook until crispy. Remove from pan to a paper towel to drain. Take out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Cook the onion in the bacon grease. You might have to add a little olive if they start to brown too fast. Cook the onion under just translucent. Add in the chopped garlic, the green beans and the sliced mushroom. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid that the mushroom releases will help to steam the green beans in the pan. If you like soggy green beans (yuck) you can cook them a bit longer.

No comments: