Thursday, May 29, 2014

Grandma Virginia’s Light Lemon Cake



Who doesn't love a recipe that has the word Grandma in the title? You know it's going to be good.

This recipe was made by a real Grandma. Mindi at Home Grown Beets got this recipe from her hubby's Grandma one 4th of July and Mindi has been making it ever since and I can see why.

There was a time when you could not get me to eat anything with lemon in it. I was a lemon hater. I don't know what happened. I guess my tastes have changes cause now I'm a freakin lemon lover.

I saw this on Pinterest. I see everything on Pinterest, I just don't get around to making 98% of what I pin! This lemon cake was calling my name.

Yes, it uses a boxed lemon cake. Get over it. Boxed cake mixes happen (and instant pudding too!). This cake is super light and delicious. It's not overly lemony or artificial tasting. The texture is almost like a sponge cake and that topping is so light and fluffy, I could have eaten it with a spoon!

This is the perfect refreshing summer dessert! I'm already planning on serving it for my 4th of July party.




Grandma Virginia's Light Lemon Cake
recipe from Home Grown Beets
Printable Recipe
For the Cake
1 box (18.25oz) Lemon Cake Mix
1 box (3.4oz) Instant Lemon Pudding Mix
1 ¾ Cups Water
3 Egg Whites

For the Topping:
3/4 Cup Milk
1/2 tsp. Lemon Extract (optional, I omitted)
1 box (3.4oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
1 Carton (8 oz.) Frozen Whipped Topping

Combine the lemon cake mix, the pudding mix, water and egg whites. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 x 2 in. baking pan. Bake at 350 for 23-28 minutes or until cake test done. Cool.

Combine all the topping ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat on low for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Keep refrigerated.

No comments: