Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Lovin'

first tomatoes

Summer has grabbed ahold of us and taken us hostage.

Even though, as most of you know, it’s my least favorite season (give me fall year round and I’d be a happy girl), I’m making the best of it. There are things I love about summer, don’t get me wrong.

We harvested our first few tomatoes! Only 4 but it's a start.

We enjoyed a few days off last week. We spent lots of time just being lazy. No set schedule for meals. Feel hungry? Let’s eat. 6pm - wanna popsicle? Ok then. 8pm bowl of cherries. Sure. It was that kinda eating.

We stayed up late (well, late for us anyway) and slept in (that means 7am for us!).

We found this little guy living in the fountain!

Froggy

We picked blueberries – 10 pounds. I then spent 6 hours flash freezing and food vacuuming them. We’ll be happily eating blueberries all winter long.

We harvested our garlic. Nothing makes me happier than going into the garage to grab a bulb that I grew.

First garlic 2012

We had friends and family over for the 4th and hosted a dinner party a few days later. Everything was very relaxed and casual.

My favorite part of my mini vacation – waking up every day, not having to put on makeup and then slipping into a pair of short and a tee.

What I am lovin' right now:

  • Juicy watermelon
  • Popsicles
  • Painted toes
  • Nights by the fire pit
  • Flip flops
  • Cricket chirping
  • Picking blueberries
  • Grilled everything!
  • The warm sun on my skin
  • Watering at dusk
  • Summer thunderstorms
  • Watching my veggies grow
  • Ripe peaches
  • My huge basil patch
  • Burnt marshmallow
  • Cukes sliced straight from the garden
  • Fireflies
  • Sundresses
  • Yard Sales
  • Drippy ice cream cones
  • Cookouts

    What are you lovin' most about summer?

    4 comments:

    Amy said...

    I love not barking at my kids "GET READY!! WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE! AAAAARGH!!!!" And ya, everything else. Especially the pool. And p.s. I want an itty bitty frog.

    Foodiewife said...

    Living on the coast of California, I love my summers. We are lucky to hit the 80's, so it's doable. We're just beginning to harvest our tomatoes, and I cannot wait! Love the shot of that frog!

    jeri said...

    Lobster is currently $3.98 at my local Asian market. I'll even turn on my stove in 100+ heat for that. The corn is really great this summer too and you can just throw in with the lobster. As long as the A/C holds out, I'm a happy camper.

    Magic Minerals said...

    Lovely post. It sounds like you had a very relaxing time, and your post gives a good summary of what is great about summer. Thanks for sharing.