Thursday, December 22, 2011

Turtle Candies & a Christmas wish~

Turtle candy

Turtle Candy is John's favorite.

Maybe it's because he grew up in New Mexico and he misses the fresh pecans.

Maybe because there is caramel. I rest my case when it comes to caramel.

Then there's chocolate. My fave.

Top it all off with a sprinkle of course salt and you have perfection in a single bite.

The only bummer about this recipe.....pecans are very expensive in Rhode Island! In New Mexico they were dirt cheap. In Rhode Island they are not, but I made them anyway cause heck it's Christmas and what other time of year are ya gonna splurge on a nut right?

Turtle candy 1

Turtle Candies

recipe from She Wears Many Hats
4 cups pecan pieces
14 oz caramels (I used the bag of bits, no unwrapping!)
10 oz. chocolate chips
coarse salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 250°F. Lightly salt pecans and toast on baking sheet for about 25-30 minutes.
While pecans are toasting, melt caramels according to package directions. I melted them in the microwave and it was just fine and dandy.

Mix toasted pecans into melted caramels. Slightly cool, so you can handle. Drop tablespoon size rounds onto buttered or lined baking sheet. If mixture begins to harden, reheat for a few seconds at a time in the microwave. Let cool.

Melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Again, the microwave worked like a charm. Top each caramel/pecan drop with about 1 tablespoon of chocolate, and sprinkle with a little bit of salt. Let cool.
Store in airtight container. Makes about 4 dozen.

___________________________________________________________________________

This will probably be my last post until after Christmas. 


Like many of you, I have lots of work to do in the kitchen over the next few days. I'm looking forward to a house full of family and good food. Christmas just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I plan on making that feeling last as long as possible.

To all my faithful blog follows... I wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope it's filled with everything you love!

Merry Christmas from us all,
John, Lisa, Jesse, Evan & Moose!

8 comments:

Peter M said...

I could still eat a box of Turtles...now one can make them at home! Have a Merry Turkish Christmas!

trump said...

Lissa first id like to wish you a merry Christmas and to thank you so much for being a reader on Amish Stories. Richard

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays to you as well!!

anne
www.anniebakes.net

Amy said...

Oh goodness. Look at those. Well, I do have 1 more 2 pound bag left. And caramels. Jesus, Lisa. You're killing me. Merry Christmas! xoxo

Becki's Whole Life said...

These look perfect...great combo of flavors. I wish pecans were cheaper, too...I would think being in the south they would be, but I guess I am in the wrong part of the south.

Merry Christmas!

Lyndas recipe box said...

These are my husbands absolute favorite candy. I love them too. Have a very Mery Christmas at your house!

White Toast with Butter said...

Lisa - do you have an e-mail subscription to your blog - my life gets crazy and I check your blog about once a month but I want to know when you have a new post--google follow - I have too many! Do you have a facebook page for your blog? Also the half roll pan -- where can I order that or get it - I am the queen of finding things on the internet but can't find it. Merry Christmas!

Nicole Gamble said...

So simple and so perfect! Happy Holidays!