Friday, April 22, 2011

Cheddar Stuffed Mini Meatloaves

Cheddar Stuffed Mini Mealoves

What it is about mini foods that makes you smile?

I'm tellin' ya, I was actually grinning ear to ear when these came out of the oven. I cooed at them like they were little meatloaf babies.

I was smiling when I made them and shaped them into little loaves too.

They just look so darn cute.


Cheddar Stuffed Mini Mealoves 1


I had stopped by Trader Joe's a few days ago and was walking the aisles looking for inspiration. Nothing really happened, although I did pick up a bunch of ranunculus, which is quickly becoming my favorite flower. So I grabbed a few pounds of their organic ground beef and decided I was just going to wing it.

Hmmm, now what could I make. I skimmed through one of my recipe folders and saw a few meatloaf recipes, but nothing really grabbed me so I decided I was just going to raid the fridge and look for inspiration there.

Parmesan cheese, a block of cheddar....I can make something with this.

The birth of the cheddar stuffed mini meatloaf.

It's cute.

It's little.

It's darn tasty.

Cheddar Stuffed Mini Mealoves 2

Cheddar Stuffed Mini Meatloaves
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary

½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup, plus more for topping
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash (or other seasoning of your choice)
2 pounds ground beef
2 large egg
4 ounces cheddar cheese, diced (1/2 of an 8oz block)

Oven to 400.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil and onions and cook until onions are tender. Add garlic in the last few minutes of cooking. Cool slightly and put in a large bowl.

Add in all of the other ingredients except the cheddar. Mix gently with your hands. Yes, go on in there and get messy. Fold in the diced cheddar.

Shape into 6 (4 x 2-inch) loaves. I tried to cover up the cheddar with the ground beef so it wouldn't burn in the oven. Line a sheet pan with parchment and place loaves on the pan. Spread about 2 teaspoons ketchup over each loaf. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until done.

5 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

these look absolutely tasty!!
Perfectly sized for a small house hold of 1! Me!
xx
callie

Cindy said...

Those look delicious! :-D

Amy said...

Oh yes. Mini anything rocks. Like anything "bite sized" - it manages the portion control for you (which I struggled with immensely.) I make mini meat loaves with salsa and oatmeal...sounds strange, I know. But they're awesome. Will absolutely try this version next time. Cheese wins every time.

Unknown said...

You have no idea how hungry this just made me. Have a great weekend.

Katie said...

That is extremely cute! :)