Monday, November 22, 2010

O'Henrys

O Henry


Phew.

I've been up to my eyeballs in crazy bz-ness lately.

Work - crazy!

Home - crazy!

Downtime - I'd love some please!

We've been trying to finish up our Christmas projects, plan holiday menus, and finish up the last little details in the bathroom. This is also the time of year when the school fundraisers kick into gear, and the holiday concerts, work parties, etc.

I'm trying to keep it simple again this year. I do not want or need to get caught up in the stress of it all. I simply refuse, so we are keeping things as simple as possible. We've asked family and friends to really cut back on gifts, or simply eliminate them completely. We want to spend time truly enjoying the people who are part of our lives, not be frazzled trying to shop for the perfect gift.

Our shopping list really has decreased significantly over the past few years. Instead of buying gifts for our closest friends, we all chip in and have a really nice dinner. I'll buy some jumbo shrimp, some filet Mignon, some great wine and we all get together after Christmas and really enjoy the night - no presents allowed. You should try it, it's really a wonderful thing.

Needless to say, I confess, I haven't been making much blog-worthy stuff.

I confess again. I made these O'Henry bars over a month ago and just now got around to posting them.

O Henry 2


3rd confession..... I've never in my life eaten an O'Henry bar, but I knew John liked them. John is a peanut lover, so I knew this was a treat he'd love....and he did.

This is a no bake recipe. You nuke the ingredients and stick it in the fridge. Cut your pieces small, cause these are very rich.

O’Henrys
1 cup Karo syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanuts (unsalted, do not chop)
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups rice krispies
1 – 12 oz package chocolate chips
1 – 12 oz package butterscotch chips

Stir together the syrup and the sugar. Microwave for 2 minutes. Add the peanuts and the peanut butter to the Karo mixture. Microwave again for 1 minutes. Add 3 cups of rice krispies. Spread into a greased 9x13 inch pan.

Combine the chips in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Spread over the rice krispie mixture and cool in the fridge.

Cut into 1 inch squares to serve.

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

Nothing could be finer than nuts and chocolate. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Shelley said...

I'm with you on simplifying this season. It seems with all the hulabaloo, we lose sight of what the real meaning of this season is.
My family is not exchanging gifts of any kind this year. If only I could talk my husband's family into the same, it would be perfect.

Foodiewife said...

I like this post a lot. First, I'm with you on changing the way Christmas is celebrated. My husband and I agreed that we don't need to exchange gifts with one another. Being with family and loved ones is more precious than anything we can buy. Corny, but so true. As for the dessert, I'm saving it for my husband. He loves "Hello Dollies" but peanuts run a close second. I've never heard of these, but they look easy and I think they'd be a nice surprise for my boys. Happy Thanksgiving!

Kay said...

I've never eaten an O'Henry bar either... there are always better choices if I'm gonna buy a candy bar. ;) BUT these look so yummy and I saved the recipe and I'm planning to make them for part of a cookie/candy exchange this year! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Fashion Serial Killer said...

oh YUMMY! I love your site!

amycaseycooks said...

Definately adding to my Christmas cookie list.

Rose said...

Hey! Great recipe, I'm trying it out, but I can’t buy rice krispies and Karo syrup where I live, what can I use instead?

Perfecting the Pairing said...

First of all, I love your blog! I have found some great recipes here. Keep them coming! I made your O'Henry bars last week for a Halloween party and they were a huge hit. Thanks so much!! I posted about them here: http://perfectingthepairing.blogspot.com/2011/10/o-bars.html