Monday, May 24, 2010

What's keeping me out of the kitchen...

Beans 1

See those filthy hands?

Those are mine.

Dirt under my nails, yeah I should wear gardening gloves but I don't. I rather enjoy digging in the dirt, the coolness of the earth between my fingers and even the feeling of it caked up under my nails.

Dirty hands tell the world...."Hey, I'm workin' here".

The garden is in, all except for those beans you see in my hands. They are happily nestled in a bed of warm soil, basking in the sun, but they need another week or so until I can transplant them into the garden.

cukes
One of the cucumbers.

Those beans are straight from Italy. My neighbors gave them to us. His sister picked them up in Italy and decided to share. How nice of her. My neighbor thinks they are purple beans. I hope so cause purple is my favorite color.

I planted sugar snap peas that I started from seeds too. I can't wait till those suckers are ready to harvest. Fresh sugar snaps...be still my heart!

I think John and I worked for a good 18 hours of so in the yard this past weekend. I worked with my "portable planting station". I use the boys old Radio Flyer wagon as my rolling planting vehicle. It comes in handy cause I can wheel to to where ever I'm planting, plus it just looks cute.

wagon 1

wagon

We're just about at the "sit back and just watch it grow" stage now.

That's the part I like the best....that and the "harvesting the veggies and eating them" stage. That might be even better.

basket

Hope you're growing something delicious too!


Oh I almost forgot. John made me a 4ft birdhouse for my front deck too.

big birdhouse

I think I'm going to change the roof color, it's not doing it for me. I also think I'm going to swap out the primitive star on the front for maybe a tin one. We'll see, my yard decoration are ever evolving
.

3 comments:

June said...

Is there anything more satisfying in life that growing your own ingredients? LOVE seeing your process!

Only wish the wheels hadn't come off the girls' old red wagon. It would have been a boon companion to me in the garden...and so picturesque too.

Happy gardening, dear one!

Cherie said...

Hey there! I'm a non-glove-wearing gardener myself! I just like the feel of the dirt. And gosh knows you can't feel roots through the gloves, what if you pull too much? I'm referring to the new potatoes I just harvested, day before yesterday. They were scrumptious! Baked in the oven with some butter and garlic, my hubby and kids (and me) gobbled them down. Of all the things I grow in my garden, I think potatoes are my favorite. And ya gotta have dirty hands to harvest potatoes! :) Happy gardening, keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I just started my first garden (in pots, hehe) this spring and it's pretty exciting, we have tomatoes, mint, basil, marjoram, rosemary, leyyuce, rocket and a couple of Japanese herbs (perilla)...Love your little wagon, maybe I'll have a garden big enough to need one one day :)