Monday, May 3, 2010

Everyday Orzo

Everyday Orzo

Did you ever make a recipe that was so good that you found yourself calling people up after you made it saying, "You have to make this".

This is that kind of recipe. Simple and easy. "Mix everything up and let it sit for 25 minutes" easy. "Oh my God I wish I had discovered this recipe ages ago" easy.


chives and orzo

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this recipe.
Look. This is heaven in a bowl.

Everyday Orzo CU1

LOVED IT! It's one of the best things I've made in the past 6 months. Really. That's how crazy I am over it.

I found this on the blog Lemons & Lavender.

It's creamy, its buttery, its garlicky, it's just perfect. The orzo is tender, but not gooey, the garlic gives it a little kick, the butter gives it the perfect sweetness and the cheese just sends it over the top.

I tweaked it just a tiny bit. Added some shallots, increased the garlic by a clove and omitted the original recipes optional squeeze of lemon. It really didn't need it. It was just super delicious.


Everyday Orzo
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped (I used a combination of onion & shallots)
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
2-1/2 cups chicken stock
2 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded (don't substitute)
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until soft but not browned, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock just until it begins to boil.

Add orzo to onion and garlic in skillet. Stir in hot chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let stand, without removing cover, until all liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. (If your cheese doesn't melt right away, just heat up the orzo over low flame a bit to get it to melt quicker); add chives and season with salt and pepper. Orzo will have a creamy consistency. Serve hot.

(Recipe adapted from Simply Classic, a cookbook from the Junior League of Seattle).


Everyday Orzo CU

I'm serving this up for Mothers Day...and Memorial Day...and 4th of July...you get the picture.

8 comments:

slmpetersen said...

This is the prefect side dish for my dinner tonight! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

that really does look good and I will have to try it!!! Thanks for sharing

Amy said...

You've sold me. Printed it out and I'm putting it on the menu for next week. Will report back...

katie said...

I love this recipe, but we make it with Parmesan cheese. I will have to try it with Gruyere next time, it sounds delicious!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Katie, the Gruyere really makes it!

Lemons and Lavender said...

Yum, yum, yum...I love this recipe! It knocks my socks off every time I eat it. So glad you like it and will keep it in your repertoire. Thanks for crediting my site.

Amy said...

Hi Lisa - I made this tonight and it was excellent. Guyere makes me weak in the knees, so I had little doubt. For my husband, I fried up a little polska kielbasa and added it in the end. But for me, I thought it was perfect without it.

Thanks for the great recipe.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Amy I'm so glad you liked it. I think adding in the kilebasa was a great idea. I'll have to try that!