Thursday, October 1, 2009

Banana Snack Cake with Brown-Butter Frosting

Banana Snack Cake plated'

Everyone in my house has been sick with a nasty head cold that
eventually traveled down and became a chest cold.

I really had thought that my vitamins, lots of fruits and veggies,
and my fanatical hand washing had spared me of it's wrath.

It didn't.

I got sick.

I hate being sick mostly because while I'm laying on the couch
wrapped in a cozy blanket with a cup of tea, I'm thinking about all
the things that need to be done.

I don't hate the blanket and the tea part.
I just hate the "oh I'm gonna
have so much catching up to do" part.

I did manage to cook up a few meals (even if they were soup and
grilled cheese) and I did manage to make this
Banana Snack Cake and even took pictures of
it while my nose dripped like a faucet.

Don't worry, I didn't drip over the cake.

Banana Snack Cake

My sweet, sweet husband has been camped out
on the couch for the past week.

First he was sick, then me, so we haven't shared the
Temperpedic in over a week.

Moose and I have been alone in that bed and we don't like it one bit.
All the men in the house are healthy again and I think by
the weekend that I'll be feeling like my ole self again.

I still have lots of apples to cook with,
so prepare for more apple recipes.

I think an Upside Down Apple Pie may be in the works and
oh....I think I just may have to have another Fall Giveaway too.
I've been shopping!

Till then enjoy this Banana Snack Cake.
It was moist and scrumptious and I was told
that the frosting was excellent.

My taste buds weren't working so well,
so I'm going by what I was told, lol.

Banana Snack CU

Banana Snack Cake with Brown-Butter Frosting
Printable recipe
1 ¼ cups mashed, fully riped bananas (about 4 med)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick butter
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs

Brown-Butter Frosting
6 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
5 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 metal baking pan.

In a small bowl mix the bananas, lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside.
In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.

In the large bowl with a mixer at medium speed, beat the butter with the sugars 5 minutes or until light and creamy, scraping the bowl often with a rubber spatula.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beat until smooth.

Spoon batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.

To make frosting:
In a 1 quart saucepan, heat the butter on medium 6 to 8 minutes or until melted and dark brown in color. Stir this every minute or so. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn!! It can go from brown to black in just a few minutes. Immediately transfer butter to a pie plate and refrigerate until firm. You want the butter to thicken up. This should take about 35 to 30 minutes.

In a large bowl, with a mixer at medium speed, beat the thickened butter, sugar, milk and vanilla until creamy and smooth. Spread over cooled cake.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa~My own sweet husband is on the couch at this very moment..he came home yesterday with something..he never stays home from work! I feel so bad for him and your banana snack cake is just the thing to perk him up...he loves
anything banana! Thank you for the recipe...and feel better soon!~Kathy
p.s. I love your blog! (:

Doreen Frost said...

Mmm...this sounds great..I've never had banana cake.

SO sorry you've all been sick! I know exactly what you mean about thinking about all those things you will have to catch up on after you feel better..it stinks doesn't it..we can't even "rest" when we need it!

Feel better soon
Hugs, Doreen

apple upside down pie..I've never heard of it..can't wait to try it!

June said...

You had me at brown-butter frosting. Ahhh...

June said...

OH! And I'm so sorry you and your sweet husband have been sick, Lisa! Feel better. It's taxing to feel the to-do list stacking up when you can't tick anything off.

Anonymous said...

I HATE that everything piling up on me and I cannot get up off this darn couch feeling and why is it we are always on the couch and not in bed as if the world would collapse if we stayed in the bedroom? Just saying?

I cannot wait to try this one.

Hoping you are all well now!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

How awesome does this look! I'm always looking for new things to do with ripe bananas. My banana bread never turns out well so this cake looks fantastic:) Oh and brown butter is one of my favorite things and in frosting form it's gotta be great!